Monday 13 May 2013

Mothers Day Overlocker

I enjoyed a lovely Mothers Day and was very excited when my family gave me an overlocker. It is a 6 year old Bernina and I love it! Of course I wanted to use it straight away, but I didn't want to make an item of clothing as I thought it would take aaaages to cut out all the pieces before I would actually get to use the overlocker. So I decided on a cushion cover. It was the perfect solution, as it would 'kill three birds with one stone'; try out my newly gifted overlocker for something purposeful, add something to my very bare couches and use up an orphan block. And it would be quick. I already have too many unfinished projects to add another one to the pile.

I went to my box of orphan blocks and pulled out an improv block made from strips of Salt Air by Cosmo Cricket for Moda. After adding a few borders I then excitedly began practising my free motion quilting and tried some bubbles. I was pretty pleased with my effort, though I did unpick a small section that had puckered a little (well, more than a little, otherwise I probably would have left it!) when I got close to the straight line quilting around the edge. After adding the back of the pillow (with the overlocker - I'm so lucky!), unpicking the back (I had layered the backing fabrics so the trim was on the inside!) and then resewing the back  I sat back to admire my work.

I like it! It certainly helps to make our couches look more homely. What do you think?

16 comments:

  1. I love that cushion! Lucky you getting an overlocker, I know you'll make heaps of fun things with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The block looks great and the bubble quilting is fun. The fabric on the back is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. As it happened, I bought the backing fabric in the morning and then decided to make the cushion cover in the evening! I thought it was perfect too.

      Delete
  3. It turned into a lovely cushion! Great way to break in your new machine- what a thoughtful family you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful and would make any place wonderful! Lovely fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pillow looks lovely! Great job on the quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this pillow! Your fabrics work so well together!

    -Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pillow! And sewing related presents make the best presents I think! That is all I want these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute pillow! Love the fabrics (salt air is a favorite!) and block.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dropped by from Better Off Thread - a Bernina overlocker, you lucky girl, great cushion too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cushion! That fabric has always been one of my favorites and you're one lucky mama!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky girl!! Love the cushion cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty and lucky lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful cushion! I love Salt Air. It's a very pretty line. Thanks for linking up with CTTY.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is an overlocker and a serger the same thing? I really love the cushion!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will always endeavour to reply. Thanks for visiting - I am truly delighted!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...