Friday 8 November 2013

Topsy Turvy Winter


We had such a warm winter this year that I think our fruit trees got a bit confused. They started flowering at the beginning of winter! We now have apricots, peaches and nectarines the size of golf balls and something seems to be happening with the mango tree (fingers crossed, though it is still very small and skinny and a growing mango would probably snap the trunk with its weight!). How cute are those donut peaches! I'm thinking that if they make it into the house they would be the perfect size for school lunchboxes.

Last year our stone fruits were attacked by fruit fly, so this year I think I will have to resort to spraying. We have a bit of leaf curl at the moment, as I was only able to get in one copper based spray in between all the topsy turvy winter weather. Leaf curl is a virus that doesn't affect the quality of the fruit, but can lead to premature fruit drop. And we don't want that!I simply remove the affected leaves and put them in the bin.

Do you grow any fruit? I would love a couple of plum trees. Any suggestions as to the variety?

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of your fruit trees. I'm hoping to plant some fruit trees soon. It sounds as though you have a wonderful variety, even a mango, lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh to have a warm winter!! 'Tis nearly Summer and we are freezing down here!! Love the gorgeous photos of your fruit trees. I have apples, raspberries, blackberries, mulberries....my husband would love to grow a mango but alas 'tis a wee bit chilly!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and will always endeavour to reply. Thanks for visiting - I am truly delighted!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...